There are times like the holiday season where we need a little help to stay on track. I have listed some helpful tips on how to avoid the dreaded belly bulge, post-sugar break outs and that holiday hangover when attending holiday gatherings.
- Have a small meal before . Don’t show up to the party starving! You will be more likely to reach for the sugary and heavy carb dishes.
- Eat your greens. Load your plate up with the healthier options from the classic veggie platter.
- If it’s a potluck, you’re in luck! This is your opportunity to bring your own healthy dish to share.
- Warm lemon water is a great way to start your day off right, along with a breakfast that is high in protein and full of fibre.
- Drink water after every alcoholic beverage! The more of a buzz you get, the more likely you will be reach for the unhealthy options, especially those cocktails with high sugar content.
- Chromium is a mineral supplement, which helps to balance blood sugar and prevent those spikes that make you want more sugar. I take 600 micrograms daily (do not exceed 1000 micrograms in a day.)
- Kukicha tea is a twig tea that helps to alkalize and restore the minerals in your body. This is great for when you have eaten too much white sugar, to sooth digestion and release trapped gas, to reduce heartburn, and cure that holiday hangover.
- Exercise! Yoga, Pilates, running, skipping, walking, what ever it is, just move. Burn off all those extra calories!
- Enjoy and let go! If you stress yourself out with self depreciating thoughts of all the junk you consumed, it can cause more inflammation and have a more negative impact on your body! Brush yourself off and make better choices –tomorrow is a new day.
Hope you have a Happy and Glowy Holiday Season! If you have any questions on nutrition or skin care, please don’t hesitate to reach out. I’m here to help!
Mei-Lana Chow xo