Ever thought about eating your way to healthy, glowing skin?
We often think that skin care products are the only thing that can make our skin beautiful. Turns out, what you put on your plate has a direct impact on your skin’s well-being. Your daily diet plays a huge role in your beauty routine, especially during the winter, when your skin suddenly has to deal with central heating, drier air, and cool winds!
Why Your Diet Matters
Maintaining good skin throughout the year involves more than just switching up your skin care routine – it’s about nourishing your body from the inside out. There’s nothing more important than eating and drinking right! To combat the seasonal environmental conditions, adjust your skin care products and consider incorporating skin-friendly “beauty foods” to keep you looking fresh, and feeling great.
Check out my tips for a hydrating winter skin care routine!
Beauty Soup for a Natural Glow
To kickstart your beauty food journey, here’s a simple, delicious, and nutritious soup that’s easy to make. This golden soup is loaded with vitamins to support a healthy body, and will leave you with a radiant glow! Carrot ginger soup is PACKED with skin-loving nutrients and has anti-inflammatory properties to hydrate and soothe an irritated digestive system. An irritated digestive system leads to irritated skin!
Carrot Ginger Soup Recipe
- 1.5 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, diced (~2 cups)
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp cinnamon, cumin, turmeric (to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 tbsp oil (olive oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil)
- Garnish: chopped chives, cilantro, and/or hemp hearts
- Put the chopped carrots, zucchini, onions in a large saucepan and sauté in 1 tbsp of oil of choice for 3-5 minutes, until veggies start to soften.
- Add ginger, garlic, and spices and sauté for a few more minutes.
- Add water. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes (for a thicker soup, use only 2 cups of water.)
- Purée everything in a blender and blend until smooth. Use an immersion blender if you have one.
- Taste and adjust seasonings to your taste.
- Sprinkle each serving with garnish and enjoy!
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Swap Your Morning Smoothie with Soup!
Consider trading your morning smoothie for a warm, nutrient-rich homemade bowl of soup! Why not? Starting your day with this comforting breakfast not only boosts your immunity but keeps you feeling fresh-faced all day.
Enhance Your Glow with a Colourful Diet
This soup recipe is just the start to what you can consume to keep your skin hydrated and glowing!. Get creative with your daily intake by choosing brightly coloured fruits and vegetables. They are rich in powerful antioxidants that protect the skin from the damaging effects of dehydration, stress, pollutants, and UV light. Also incorporating wholesome fats, like raw nuts, seeds, fatty fish, grass-fed butter, avocado, and olive oil, ensures proper absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and prevents transdermal water loss.
Beauty food is all about choosing whole, nutrient-dense foods that make you happy and nourish your soul. Remember, true radiance comes from within!
Let me know if you’ve tried this recipe. Leave a comment below and share a photo on Instagram and tag @glowwithmei.